Blue Coppice Blatherings

Blather and balderdash about stitching, design and domestic life.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Any sympathy out there?

It's official. After fighting off all germs for the past few weeks, I've finally succumbed to a rotten stinking cold. I'm going through tissues like OH goes through cookies & am generally feeling very sorry for myself.

I hate colds. I hate the fact that they turn me into a pathetic whining, drippy wet fish with no backbone. I hate not being able to sleep because you can't breathe, the sore nose, the streaming eyes, the miserable little cough that can't even bring itself to sound like anything more than an apology, the complete lack of brain cells, and the fact that although you feel like death vaguely warmed up, it's not a good enough excuse to stay at home & curl under the duvet!

Bah.

Yes I know, things could be worse but I'm just having a brief wallow in self-pity. OH just laughed at me this morning & refused to come anywhere near me. Even the cat was wary - probably because as soon as she got within a 2 yard radius of me I'd sneeze. A lot.

Anyway, onto happier things! I visited the Knitting & Stitching Show in Harrogate on Sunday 28th & thoroughly enjoyed myself. I stocked up on more linen, treated myself to the Angel of Spring chart (a Lavender & Lace design) & its beads with some birthday money, picked up a couple of interesting books (one on Medieval tiles and one on the history of writing - good pictures!) and attended an afternoon workshop. We were shown how to make a "flip-flop" tassel by the Braidmakers Workshop which was an excuse to meet new people & generally have a good time!

OH looked a little nonplussed when I returned home with all my goodies & nodded blankly when I told him that my slinky tassel would look lovely on the Christmas tree, but then there's a limit as to what I can say when he's discussing the latest Ipswich Town game (football/soccer!) so I do understand. I've learnt that as long as I can say reasonably intelligable things like "They have to use
three strikers, they haven't got a defense" and avoid my immediate response of "For heavens sake, it's just a game", he resists pointing out how strange it is to play with string.

As for stitching, I finally finished the stitching on the second part of the workshop piece & now just have to do the finishing & construction, which will be started as soon as I have a spare moment tonight.

I do need the challenge of working on my own pieces but f
or a change, I've been doing some work on another designer's piece which has been nice, especially recently when I've been so tired (probably due this cold lurking & turning my brains to mush!). I've been doing a little of John Clayton's Greek Steps every night & it's coming along nicely. I'm about 85% done now & with a bit of a blast over Christmas I should get it finished soon.

Greek Steps is really a holiday piece - so until recently I've only worked on it when I've been sitting on a balcony on a small Greek island with a glass of something nice next to me enjoying the sunshine & the view... However, this does mean that it's been hanging around for a while so I decided it was time to finish it off before we go away again in May/June. Once it's done, I can start Angel of Love (another L&L design) which has got a spot reserved for it in the lounge. That's going to take a couple of years as a holiday piece as well!

Back to my own work, unfortunately, the trinket box which I had planned to release before Christmas is not going to be ready in time. I'm sure I could get it done but I'd have to rush, which could easily compromise the proofing process! I'd rather publish a chart that I'm confident is right than find out I've made a fundamental error after it's gone to the printers...

So once the workshop piece is completed, I'll be finishing off the trinket box and then going back to the birth sampler. The birth sampler is quite a large project so I'm planning to do another small piece before it's finished - possibly an introduction to the Water Garden? Too many ideas, too little time...

Oh, and keep the comments coming - all views, criticism & nonsense welcome!

1 Comments:

Blogger Glenda said...

Feel better soon.

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home