Blue Coppice Blatherings

Blather and balderdash about stitching, design and domestic life.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Change is good...

In just over three weeks time, I have a free weekend. No bar work or social events have been planned and I hope to spend the majority of it working on the birth sampler. Sheer bliss. Not that I don't enjoy having friends to visit or places to go, but I really need a weekend off! I'm planning to venture out to Manchester City Art Gallery for one of the afternoons so I can drool over the Pre-Raphaelites but I think that will be the extent of my contact with other humans - well, that's the plan anyway, and we all know how quickly things can change!

Speaking of change, in a mad moment a couple of weeks ago, I put my details onto an online dating site to see who was out there. Now I know these sites don't always have the best of reputations, but it suddenly struck me that I'm not the only reasonably intelligent person who doesn't just want to meet people in a bar or club. I'm also not the only one with a busy life with no time to take evening classes! Anyway, I was quite surprised by the responses I received, especially as I didn't put a photograph up to start with, and after weeding out the obviously strange, potentially weird and definitely creepy, struck up e-mail conversation with a couple of guys.

I've since met both and had a couple of really good nights. One I hope to stay in touch with as a friend - a truly lovely man who was incredibly easy to talk to and will make someone very happy, so if you're female, single, based in the North-West, enjoy decent conversation and want to meet one of the few good men in the world, let me know... ;-) (N - if you're reading this, any other requests?)

The other is intelligent, confident, witty & does so much himself that he seems to understand my time constraints! We're going out for lunch on Thursday & I'm really looking forward to it - the venue has been carefully chosen to avoid my colleagues who have been following my singleton adventures with far too much interest...there's not been much other gossip so until the next work night out, I think I'm the current entertainment!

In between all this, I've been busy working away on the next piece which is turing out rather well! I've not got much more stitching to do and then I'll be working on the construction. As usual, this is the most nerve-wracking part...the stitching is linked to the construction so much that if I've badly miscalculated, the whole design might have to change. To give my brain a rest from this on Saturday, I did a little more on the Angel of Love. She's coming along very nicely and is alarmingly addictive so I am having to be pretty strict about the time I spend on her!

After a late night working behind the bar on Saturday night, I struggled out of bed on Sunday morning & headed to the NEC in Birmingham for the International Craft & Hobby Fair. This is one of the largest trade shows and they let me in because I'm a designer - there are some perks! It was a really good day & I met some very good contacts who will be very helpful for some future projects, including Zweigart and the South African floss company House of Embroidery - they produce the most beautiful subtle shades for multicoloured silk & cotton floss and ribbon, some of which are extremely likely to be included in one of the designs to be released later this year.

That's it to be going on with - as usual, all comments gratefully received!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home